AFA of PA ACTION ALERT
February 19, 2014
No PA Congressman or Senator Signs Onto Resolution Targeting Common Core
Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-SC) has introduced a resolution, H. Res. 476, which denounces the use of federal coercion to lure states into adopting the Common Core Standards. On the Senate side, Sen. Lindsey Graham’s (R-SC) has introduced S. Res. 345. These resolutions also emphasize the importance of local control of education.
Why has no Pennsylvanian signed onto these resolutions?
So . . . just what is wrong with Common Core? Here are a few problems:
- National control of school standards
- $650 million required to implement in PA
- CCS math standards will put PA’s students two years behind their peers in high-performing countries
- Parents and school boards will have no recourse to influence content or standards
- Undermines the US Constitution’s 10th Amendment authority of states over education
- Massive federal student tracking initiative instituted
Go to our ACTION CENTER to contact your US Congressman and ask him or her to sign onto H. Res. 476.
Go here to send Senators Bob Casey and Pat Toomey your message.