For Immediate Release: April 11, 2014
Contact: Diane Gramley 1.814.271.9078 or 1.814.437.5355
Which Schools Will Waste More Taxpayer Dollars And Allow Silence in the Classroom?
(Harrisburg) — Friday, April 11th has been declared the “Day of Silence” by the Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network (GLSEN) and, according to them, it is a day set aside when “students from middle school to college take a vow of silence in an effort to encourage schools and classmates to address the problem of anti-LGBT behavior by illustrating the silencing effect of bullying and harassment on LGBT students and those perceived to be LGBT.” However, as noted by the American Family Association of Pennsylvania (AFA of PA), the ultimate goal is to normalize homosexuality, bisexuality and transgenderism. The AFA of PA has contacted several Pennsylvania schools which have acknowledged students are participating in the Day of Silence.
“Pennsylvania taxpayer dollars will be used today to deliver GLSEN’s message that ‘Gay is Okay.’ These tax dollars spent on education are wasted when students disrupt class through their refusal to verbally participate in class and schools that permit students to use whiteboards or some other non-verbal means to communicate during class time are adding to the disruption. These schools deliver GLSEN’s message while ignoring the health risks for those who embrace that lie. Which schools will allow the truth to be told about the dangers or will they simply allow GLSENs message to be heard?” questioned Diane Gramley, president of the AFA of PA.
CDC States include:
- Nearly 50,000 Americans were newly diagnosed with HIV in 2011, and Philadelphia ranked 24th among metropolitan areas in terms of new diagnoses — the vast majority of which were classified as AIDS. About 12,000 people are living with AIDS in the city.
- The Philadelphia region ranked 16th among metropolitan areas for new AIDS diagnoses in 2011.
- When CDC statistics are analyzed using the estimate of the MSM population at 4 percent of the American male population and assuming the other 96 percent who do not have sex with men are heterosexual, the risk of HIV infection from sexual contact for MSM was approximately 150 times greater than the heterosexual male population in 2010. According to the CDC the risk of lung cancer for men who smoke is 23 times greater than for men who do not smoke.
- The CDC report, “Vital Signs: HIV Infection, Testing, Risk Behaviors Among Youths, United States,” estimated that youths aged 13 to 24 accounted for 12,200, or 26 percent, of new HIV infections in 2010.
GLSEN’s claim that students who identify as LGBT are bullied more than any other student is based upon their own online School Climate Survey which contains problems of its own. As Linda Harvey of Mission America points out, ” It’s designed, conducted and evaluated by internal GLSEN staff, not an independent firm. It’s mostly an online survey. Anyone can take it, even those pretending to be “gay youth.” Could adults sympathetic to GLSEN’s goals or GLSEN’s own staff, take the survey to obtain the desired results? Absolutely.
The fact is a new report finds that children with disabilities are at about four times the risk of becoming victims of violence compared with children who don’t have disabilities.
“The politically correct actions of taxpayer funded schools that do not counter the so-called Day of Silence with the truth about the dangers posed by participation in the homosexual lifestyle, place students at risk. Parents do not send their children to school to be indoctrinated with propaganda that places them in danger,” noted Gramley.
# # #