AFA of PA ACTION ALERT
November 2, 2018
Pray, Pray, Vote!
I’ve probably shared some of these stats with you in the past, but they are a stark reminder of how very important one vote is!
- On November 8, 1923, members of the then recently-formed revolutionary political party met to elect a leader in a Munich, Germany beer hall. By a majority of one vote, they chose an ex-soldier named Adolph Hitler to become the NAZI Party leader.
- In 1940, the vote taken by the French parliament to maintain its status as a republic failed by a margin of one vote.
- In 1941, the Selective Service Act (the draft) was saved by a one vote margin — just weeks before Pearl Harbor was attacked.
- In 1948, a Texas convention voted for Lyndon B. Johnson over ex-Governor Coke Stevens in a contested Senatorial election. Lyndon Johnson because U.S. Senator by a one vote margin.
- In 1948, if Thomas E. Dewey had gotten one vote more per precinct in Ohio and California, the presidential election would have been thrown into the U.S. House of Representatives where Dewey enjoyed more support than his rival — incumbent Harry Truman. As it was, Dewey was expected to win the general election by a landslide so most Republicans stayed home. Only 51.5 percent of the electorate voted. Truman defeated Dewey.
Voting is extremely important in this country. That is the only way a representative republic can be maintained. As Christians in this great nation we must also seek God. We must ask for his protection on this country and her leaders. We must ask for his mercy for this nation as it has the blood of millions of innocent babies on her hands and has become more accepting/affirming of sin.
The national office of the American Family Association has called for a National Day of Fasting and Prayer on Monday, November 5th. We join them in that call. It is only God’s intervention that will save this nation!
II Chronicles 7:14 – “if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.