AFA of PA ACTION ALERT
May 16, 2014
Ask Senators to Oppose the Nomination of David Barron to 1st Circuit Court of Appeals
President Obama has nominated Harvard professor David Barron to be a federal judge on the 1st Circuit Court of Appeals. This is extremely troubling and dangerous! Here are a few reasons why his nomination should be opposed:
- He developed the administrative policy that “It’s okay to kill the US citizen, but not to detain him.” Barron authored the “Memorandum for the Attorney General, Withdrawal of Office of Legal Counsel Opinion, June 11,2009” that revoked memorandums dealing with national security measures set up during the Bush Administration for detaining and interrogating high value al Qaeda targets.
- Concurrently, Barron was the legal architect of the plan to execute American citizens by drone strikes without a trial. Barron authorized the first deliberate killing of an American citizen deemed a wartime enemy without a trial since the Civil War.
- Barron sought to preserve judicial activism as a way for liberals to maintain control when they lost control of the legislative and executive branches of government.
- In an effort to increase government regulation of business, Barron advocates a new progressive view of federalism.
- As with the creation of abortion rights, Barron believes that successful attacks on the Institution of marriage have justified the usefulness of progressive judicial activism.
- He fully defended the Kelo vs. City of New London Supreme Court decision which rewrote the Fifth Amendment and eminent domain by allowing the city to confiscate a home to build a shopping mall.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has just filed cloture on David Barron, so expect the vote to come very soon.
Senator Rand Paul has announced his intention to filibuster the nomination of David Barron. Barron can be stopped with your help! Ask the following US Senators to vote “No” in each vote dealing with Barron’s confirmation.
Ask Senators Bob Casey, Jr. and Pat Toomey to vote ‘No” on David Barron – go to our ACTION CENTER.
Extra pressure needs to be placed on these three key senators:
Mark Pryor (AR) (202) 224-2353
Joe Donnelly (IN) (202) 224-4814
Joe Manchin (WV) (202) 224-3954
Also, contact these:
Susan Collins (ME) (202) 224-2523
Lisa Murkowski (AK) (202) 224-6665
Mark Begich (AK) (202) 224-3004
Kay Hagan (NC) (202) 224-6342
Heidi Heitkamp (ND) (202) 224-2043
Mary Landrieu (LA) (202) 224-5824
Jay Rockefeller (WV) (202) 224-6472
John Walsh (MT) (202) 224-2651
Mark Warner (VA) (202) 224-2023
Mark Udall (CO) (202) 224-5941
Tom Udall (NM) (202) 224-6621
Martin Heinrich (NM) (202) 224-5521
Bernie Sanders (VT) (202) 224-5141
Ed Markey (MA) (202) 224-2742
Elizabeth Warren (MA) (202) 224-4543
Jeff Merkley (OR) (202) 224-3753
Ron Wyden (OR) (202) 224-5244