For Immediate Release: May 26, 2011
Contact: Diane Gramley 1.814.271.9078 or 1.814.437.5355
Groups Ask Governor Corbett to Remove Stephen Glassman as Chair of the PA Human Relations Commission
(Harrisburg) – For several years the American Family Association of Pennsylvania (AFA of PA), a statewide traditional values group, has been raising awareness to the efforts of Stephen Glassman, Chairman of the PA Human Relations (PHRC) to use his position as a bully pulpit to further his personal agenda – using the force of law to demand that all Pennsylvanians celebrate the homosexual lifestyle. The AFA of PA has been joined by other groups in signing a letter to Governor Corbett offering evidence of Glassman’s activism and asking that he be removed as chairman of the PHRC.
“Ever since Governor Rendell ‘promoted’ Glassman from commissioner to the chairman of the Commission he has used that position to push his agenda — but what do you expect when you appoint a homosexual activist? We are asking Governor Corbett to do the right thing for Pennsylvania and choose a Chairman that better reflects the majority of Pennsylvanians,” remarked Diane Gramley, President of the AFA of PA.
The announcement earlier this week the Glassman was being named the President and CEO of Community Design Center of Pittsburgh offered no indication that he was leaving his position as Chairman of the PHRC.
225 Main Capitol Building
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17120
May 24, 2011
Honorable Tom Corbett:
We the undersigned, representing tens of thousands of Pennsylvanians, are writing to express concerns about the expenditure of public monies through the PA Human Relations Commission (PHRC) and the activities of Chairman Stephen Glassman. Some of our concerns are listed below.
The mission of the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission is to administer and enforce the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act and the Pennsylvania Fair Educational Opportunities Act of the Commonwealth of the Pennsylvania for the identification and elimination of discrimination and the providing of equal opportunity for all persons. The existing law prohibits discrimination based on race; color; religious creed; ancestry; age (40 and over); sex; national origin; familial status (only in housing); handicap or disability and the use, handling or training of support or guide animals for disability.
As a board member of the radical Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network in 1998, Stephen Glassman said, “I don’t want to be tolerated. I don’t want to be put up with. I want to be…celebrated.” He has used his chairmanship on the PA Human Relations Commission to force Pennsylvanians to ‘celebrate’ his homosexuality.
- Mr. Glassman has used his position as a bully pulpit to ‘encourage’ municipalities to pass human relations ordinances which contain language which goes above and beyond what is enforceable by the PHRC. He has joined with homosexual activists and placed pressure on local commissioners who were opposed to such changes. In 2010 and 2011 he made numerous trips to Doylestown Borough (Bucks County), Lower Merion, Borough of Hatboro, Abington Township (Montgomery County), and Haverford Township (Delaware County) pressuring them to pass human relations ordinances with sexual orientation and gender identity or expression language. Glassman recently bragged that he was involved in ‘convincing’ all twenty plus municipalities which have passed a ‘sexual orientation/gender identity or expression’ ordinance. Additionally, in his official capacity, he has:
- In August 2005 he was named as a fellow by the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund and Leadership Institute.
- In July 2006 signed onto the outrageous ‘Beyond Same-Sex Marriage — A NEW STRATEGIC VISION FOR ALL OUR FAMILIES & RELATIONSHIPS”
- October 2007 attended the Washington, DC based – Human Rights Campaign (largest homosexual lobby group in the nation) annual banquet demanding they support the “gender identity’ language of the federal Employment Non-Discrimination bill that would permit men who think they are women to use the women’s restrooms and showers in a workplace situation.
- Spoken at rallies opposing the introduction of a PA Marriage Protection Amendment
- In June 2009 was the grand marshal of the Philadelphia Gay Pride Parade
- In July 2009 was the keynote speaker at the Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network’s first statewide conference
- December 2009 participated in DC roundtable discussion on how to get more homosexual-friendly laws passed
- Has participated in numerous ‘equality’ rallies in Harrisburg area
Until January 2010 Mr. Glassman received mileage reimbursements totaling thousands of taxpayer dollars for his activities which are opposed by the majority of Pennsylvanians. In January 2010 he was given a state car to use for such purposes. This is an unacceptable use of hard-earned taxpayer money. Recently you said the number of cars in the state fleet may need to be reduced. One reduction we recommend is the state car Mr. Glassman currently drives!
We understand that you cannot remove Mr. Glassman from the PHRC before his term expires, but we ask that you remove him as chairman and simply make him a commissioner.
The recent retirement of Homer Floyd as Executive Director of the PHRC also raises concerns. Our hope is that you are not considering ‘promoting’ Mr. Glassman to Executive Director. Such a move would be tragic for Pennsylvania.
(organizations listed for identification purposes only)
Diane Gramley, President, American Family Association of Pennsylvania
Fran Bevan, Pennsylvania Eagle Forum
LaVerne Sober, Westmoreland County Concerned Citizens
Steve Ulrich, Founder and Director, Pennsylvania Pro-life and Conservative Coalition
William Depner, PA Pro-life & Conservative Coalition
James D. Schneller, Co-founder, Philadelphia Metro Task Force
Nancy Staible, Concerned Women for America
Robert Kettering, Kirk Radadonovic, Bonnie Stebbins, Paul Castillitto, Paul Buckwalter, officers — Lancaster County Action
Rev. Gary Dull, Faith and Freedom Institute
Gail Pedrick &Terry Noble Co-Chairs of Bucks County Christian Coalition
Michael J. McMonagle, President, Pro-Life Coalition of Pa.
Edel Finnegan, Executive Director, Pro-Life Union of S.E. Pa.
# # #