Boy Scouts Make Right Decision in Upholding Ban on Homosexuals
(Harrisburg) — Today the Boy Scouts of America (BSA), after a two year special committee’s “candid conversation and extensive research and evaluations,” has decided to keep in place its ban on open homosexual leaders and members. The American Family Association of Pennsylvania (AFA of PA), commends the Scouts for taking this step to continue protecting the boys placed in their charge.
“The Boy Scouts of America has courageously withstood relentless pressure from homosexual activists and those intent on forcing the Scouts to rescind their policy. Since the 2000 United States Supreme Court decision that the Scouts had every right as a private organization to determine its leadership and membership there has been a vicious campaign mounted to break the scouting organization. The Scout’s policy is right and they reaffirmed that today,” Diane Gramley, president of the AFA of PA noted.
The BSA leadership recognize the potential danger they would placing young boys in. The following research shows why the Boy Scouts’ policy is right:
- The Archives of Sexual Behavior reported that “eighty-six percent of offenders against males described themselves as homosexual or bisexual.”
- Although homosexuals account for less than 2 percent of the population, they constitute about a third of child molesters, according to K. Freund and R.I. Watson, “The Proportions of Heterosexual and Homosexual Pedophiles Among Sex Offenders Against Children: An Exploratory Study,” J. of Sex & Marital Therapy 18 (1992), and K. Freund, and R.I. Watson, “Pedophilia and Heterosexuality vs. Homosexuality,” 10 Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy 197 (1984).
- In a study published in 1987 in the Journal of Interpersonal Violence, Dr. Gene Able said homosexuals sexually molest young boys with an incidence five times greater than the molestation of girls.
- Even homosexual activists don’t try to hide the connection with pedophilia. In The Gay Report — a book published back in 1979 — authors Karla Jay and Allen Young found that 73 percent of those surveyed had had sexual relations with males 16 to 19 or younger.
- A 1999 article in the Journal of Homosexuality by Helmut Graupner argued that same-sex relations with minors should be considered a gay rights issue. The article argued that children wouldn’t necessarily be harmed by sexual contact with adults.
“The Boy Scouts have had their own problems with sexual molesters. They don’t need to remove the safe guards that are in place, instead they need to strengthen them. The AFA of PA has numerous stories from right here in Pennsylvania about young Scouts being molested by Scout leaders. The BSA has confidential documents listing about 5,000 suspected child molesters who were formerly in their midst. If homosexual activists want to be involved in scouting, why don’t they stop harassing the Boy Scouts and start their own organization just as those who oppose the pro-homosexual, pro-abortion path the Girl Scouts have taken,” remarked Gramley.
She was referring to the Cincinnati, Ohio-based American Heritage Girls which just celebrated its 16th ‘birthday’ and boasts nearly 400 Troops and more than 19,000 members.
# # #