AFA of PA ACTION ALERT
July 6, 2017
They always hold their annual convention beginning the weekend just prior to July 4th and into the next week. This year it was June 30 through July 5 in Boston. . . and of course all they talked about was how to better our nation’s taxpayer-funded public education system . NOT!
Actually the National Education Association (NEA) did talk about education — at least some. They had a total of 159 business items to discuss and vote upon. Here they are
As you can see, right off the bat, is New Business Item (NBI) 3 where NEA members adopted a call to continue advancing “the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or questioning (LGBTQ) students and educators . . . .”
Other business items included
- more guarantees the NEA will advocate for illegal immigrant students, including opposition to ICE seeking immigration information.
- NBI 30 announces they will partner ” with the Southern Poverty Law Center, NAACP, ACLU, GLSEN, National Center for TransEquality Human Rights Campaign . . . .”
- Numerous NBIs voice opposition to charter schools and any effort to “attack” public education.
- The NEA also wants all schools to have “Wellness Polices” and even though NBI 34 just mentions physical activity and healthy eating, it could easily be expanded to include sexual health i.e. partnering with Planned Parenthood to hand out contraception, the morning after pill or referring for abortion.
- NBI 41 — support for Universal Healthcare/single-payer health care
- NBI 49 — “support LGBTQ and youth by encouraging state and local affiliates to use valid and existing resources such as the booklet from GLSEN called “Just the Facts About Sexual Orientation and Youth: A Primer for Principals, Educators, and School Personnel'”
- NBI 55 — ” encourage state and local affiliates to foster school environments that affirm the gender diversity of students by using valid and existing resources such as Gender Spectrum’s guide called the ‘Gender Inclusive Schools Toolkit.'”
- NBI 94 — ” The NEA supports sanctuary cities and schools and opposes any attacks and attempts to penalize and prohibit such sanctuaries.”
You get the idea! There were vows to demand Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos’ resignation if she didn’t answer the NEA’s questions to their satisfaction ( NBI 52 ), opposition to President Trump’s “Muslim travel ban” and his agenda in general! They, of course, oppose any curriculum that denies global warming (climate change) or evolution.
And then we come to NBI 86 and its effort to restrict exhibitors with opposing views to have a booth during the convention! This new business item specifically targets the NEA Ex-Gay Educators Caucus! In the end, it was combined with NBI 154 which targeted creation science exhibits and the decision was to form a committee to review and evaluate exhibitors materials “for information that is offensive, obscene, or in bad taste.” The committee is to be appointed by and under the supervision of NEA President Lily Eskelsen Garcia, who has a son who identifies as homosexual and has a “partner.” Hmm, wonder what that committee’s findings will be??
After reviewing these 159 New Business Items, there’s no doubt the NEA should not be allowed near children!
Feel free to contact the NEA at 202-833-4000 or you can use their contact form here to express your concerns over their radical agenda.
This organization has too much control over our public education system!