AFA of PA ACTION ALERT
March 4, 2021
Senator Schumer Skips Committee and Sends Equality Act to Floor
The US Senate has a special provision to allow a bill to skip all committee hearings and go directly to the Senate floor. Yesterday, Senator Chuck Schumer used that provision and sent the misnamed Equality Act to the Senate floor without any committee hearings. It is quite evident they want to get this bill passed before Americans fully realize the true harm it would do to this nation.
As a reminder, HR 5 – the Equality Act — would add ‘sexual orientation and gender identity’ to the 1964 Civil Rights Act, thus equating homosexuality, bisexuality, transgenderism to race and ethnicity.
- The bill expands “public accommodations” to include health care providers. It would also add ‘sex discrimination’ as a protected class. The prohibitions on ‘sex discrimination’ includes preventing treating “pregnancy . . . or a related medical condition. This, of course, could include abortion and an abortion mandate.
- Passage of the Equality Act would force faith-based adoption agencies to place children in same-sex or transgender households.
- This act expressly exempts itself from the Religious Freedom Restoration Act.
- This bill would force parents to allow their sexually-confused children to get puberty blockers and hormones or they would lose custody of them.
- It would allow biological males to compete in women’s sports.
- If this becomes law, it will spell the end to women’s privacy and safety. The bathroom, shower and locker rooms will have a swinging door allowing men in women’s facilities and vice versa.
The very fabric of American society is hanging in the balance!
HR 5 passed in the US House with all Democrats and three Republicans (including Congressman Brian Fitzpatrick -R-Bucks County). So, the 224 to 206 vote sends the bill to the US Senate, where it could be voted on at any time. Contact Senator Bob Casey, Jr. and Senator Pat Toomey and ask them to vote ‘no’ on this dangerous bill.