AFA of PA ACTION ALERT
January 14, 2021
Social Media Censorship
Social media censorship has become big news since last week. Big tech has become so bold that even the most powerful man in the world, the President of the United States, has been banned by all Big Tech social media — supposedly to prevent violence. Even foreign leaders are shocked by what has happened here in the US!
The conservative social media sight Parler has been shut down by Amazon, where its servers were. Their app has also been removed from the Google Playstore. Parler has sued Amazon, but the Parler CEO has said recently that he’s not sure Parler will ever be back.
Following is a lot of info to try to digest, but hopefully it will answer some of your questions: The AFA of PA Facebook page is still up, but we have not posted on it since November. We will eventually take it down. We’ve opened a Telegram Channel and accounts on Gab and MeWe.
You can find us on Telegram here
Telegram can also be used for messaging and phone calls [if you choose this option, it is my understanding phone calls can only be made to others with Telegram}. One drawback is you must download the Telegram app and register on your smart phone.
However, if you have an iPad or iPhone (I’ll be honest, I don’t know the difference!!) multiple sources suspect that Apple is planning to also delete the Telegram app from the AppStore entirely AND WILL REMOVE IT FROM YOUR PHONE via remote maintenance.
You can take preventative measures to prohibit the automatic deletion of apps on your iPhone or iPad:
– Go to “settings”
– Press “screen time”
– Choose “content and privacy restrictions”
– Activate the button at the top right
– Then go to “iTunes and AppStore purchases”
– DO NOT ALLOW your phone to delete apps automatically
Signal can also be used for secure text messages. Signal is encrypted end to end, if both parties have downloaded the Signal app on their Smart phones.
You can find us on MeWe as AFA of PA here
You can find us on Gab. Sign up and search for @afaofpa here
Some have asked about ProtonMail for secure emails. This is incorporated in Switzerland and free. However, it has more limitations on size and doesn’t have the “bells and whistles” of Gmail and if you receive a lot of emails, there is a charge. Here’s what my understanding is: Sent to and subject line are not encrypted. You have to go through steps to encrypt your email. If you have encrypted your email and are not sending to a proton mail user, you have to provide the person receiving the email the password in order for them to access it. If sending to another proton mail user, you do not have to go through special steps to encrypt, it happens automatically and they don’t need a password to access it. However, you don’t have to encrypt — we’re not trying to hide anything — and just use it like regular email. Just realize there are some limitations, as listed above.
Mozilla, the developer of the FireFox web browser, has said banning President Trump is not enough. They recently tweeted, “We need more de-platforming.” If you use Firefox (which I do), what’s a good web browser to change to? Your best choice appears to be Brave. That can be found here
Many are hesitant to leave Facebook because they have posted many family photos, etc. However, that can all be downloaded. Remember, if you have a lot of pictures, it will be a large download. Here are the instructions
- Pray for a very divided nation.
- I’ve thrown a lot of information your direction, but believe me, I’m no expert on all this “tech stuff”. All the changes have been, and continue to be, a BIG learning curve! But Big Tech has become very wealthy because we trustingly used their products for “free,” while they sell our information to advertisers, use their profits to push an anti-family agenda, etc. In fact, Facebook and Twitter have lost around $51 billion in the last week because of people leaving those platforms! We’ll be building AFA of PA’s new networks on Telegram, MeWe and Gab, but probably posting the most on Telegram — we’ll see! My advice would be to pick the platform you are most comfortable with and stick with that one, rather than become overwhelmed with so many changes at once.
- I invite you to jump the Facebook (and Twitter) ships and follow us on our new platforms!!