AFA of PA ACTION ALERT
February 22, 2021
Articles of Impeachment Against Governor Wolf Have Been Introduced
Today State Representative Daryl Metcalfe introduced five articles of impeachment against Governor Tom Wolf. Following is a synopsis of each one:
- Governor Wolf legally declared a disaster emergency for PA related to the COVID-19 outbreak. However, he did not have the legal authority to issue other orders i.e. close all businesses not deemed “life-sustaining” or his stay-at-home order, etc.
- Governor Wolf’s waiver program though which newly shuttered businesses could apply to reopen was arbitrary and capricious. Additionally, if denied, Governor Wolf did not set up a process in which businesses could appeal the decision.
- Governor Wolf failed to direct the Department of Labor and Industry and the Office of Unemployment Compensation to appropriately staff and administer unemployment compensation offices to provide citizens of this Commonwealth with essential unemployment benefits. As a result, citizens have faced delays of weeks and months in simply receiving notices as to whether they are eligible to receive unemployment benefits or not.
- Governor Wolf failed to direct the PA Department of Health to develop and implement a comprehensive plan to protect the most vulnerable — those in nursing homes and long-term care facilities. Instead on March 18th the Department of Health issued guidance “urging” nursing homes and long-term care facilities to take COVID 19-positive patients. Additionally, the Department of Health was too slow in implementing COVID-19 testing for residents and staff of nursing homes and long-term care facilities. As a result of Governor Wolf’s dereliction of duty in protecting the vulnerable in nursing homes and long-term care facilities, more than two-thirds of PA COVID-19 deaths are in nursing homes.
- Governor Wolf ignored the Right-to-Know law and refused to respond to requests from the public, the press and the General Assembly when information regarding issues pertaining to the COVID-19 outbreak was requested.
The list of co-sponsors can be found here
If the name of your State Representative is not listed as a co-sponsor of HR 56 at the above link, contact him or her and ask that they co-sponsor HR 56. You can find your State Rep by keying in your address here