For Immediate Release: March 16, 2011
Contact: Diane Gramley 1.814.271.9078 or 1.814.437.5355
Does the PSEA Agree With the NEA on This? – Child Advocacy Group Asks
(Harrisburg) – Today the American Family Association of Pennsylvania (AFA of PA), a statewide educational group advocating for the rights of parents and the protection of children, faxed the Pennsylvania State Education Association (PSEA) with one simple question: “Do you agree with the National Education Association?”
“Pennsylvania parents and children need to know whether the PSEA is going encourage the NEA’s radical agenda of teaching about oral sex, masturbation, orgasms and much more . . . so we asked their Executive Director John Springer,” explained Diane Gramley, President of the AFA of PA.
The PSEA letter was in response to NEA representative Diane Schneider recommendations made during a panel discussion a few weeks ago as part of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women.
Schneider’s recommendations/statements included the following:
- oral sex, masturbation, and orgasms need to be taught in education
- advocated for more “inclusive” sex education in US schools, with curricula based on liberal heterosexual and homosexual expression.
- opposed abstinence education and the ability of parents to opt their children out of sex ed
- those opposed to homosexuality “are stuck in a binary box that religion and family create.”
- comprehensive sex education is “the only way to combat heterosexism and gender conformity”
“After making these statements, NEA representative Schneider goes on to make their intentions quite clear when she said, ‘we must make these issues a part of every middle and high-school student’s agenda.’ The majority of Pennsylvania parents would consider her recommendations and statements outrageous. But where does the PSEA stand,” questioned Gramley.
# # #