AFA of PA ACTION ALERT
November 28, 2022
Senate Again Will Vote on So-Called Respect for Marriage Act
Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer is desperate to get HR 8404 passed during the lame duck session, before the GOP takes control of the US House in January. Remember this passed in the US House with 47 Republicans joining all the Democrats. If it does not pass in the US Senate by the end of December, the bill will die – something the Democrats do not want to happen in order to please their LGBTQ allies (voters).
A procedural vote was taken earlier this month with these Senators joining all the Democrats in order to get over the 60-vote threshold. They were:
- Susan Collins (ME)
- Thom Tillis (NC)
- Richard Burr (NC, retiring) – (910) 251-1058
- Roy Blunt (MO, retiring) – (417) 877-7814
- Shelley Capito (WV) – 304-347-5372
- Rob Portman (OH, retiring)
- Todd Young (IN) – 317-226-6700
- Joni Ernst (IA) – (712) 252-1550
- Cynthia Lummis (WY) – 307-261-6572
- Mitt Romney (UT)
- Lisa Murkowski (AK)
- Dan Sullivan (AK) – (907) 456-0261
Now, another procedural vote will be taken that needs 60 votes.
Remember HR 8404 does NOT respect marriage, instead it repeals the federal Defense of Marriage Act which defines marriage for federal purposes as only between one man and one woman.
- HR 8404 will further weaponize the Department of Justice to go after anyone who voices opposition to two men or two women “marrying”. Not only will the DOJ be permitted to sue those opposing same-sex “marriage”, but individuals who support such fake marriage could sue other individuals!
- It will also be a direct assault on our religious liberties and will force churches to rent their facilities to same-sex couples to celebrate their “marriage”, Bible-believing adoption agencies, women’s shelters, ministries, religious schools, and charities would be forced to recognize and celebrate same-sex marriages.
- It would also force all states to recognize marriage performed in other states. Remember states like California have much more liberal marriage laws then most other states (allowing child brides), but passage of HR 8404 would force all the states to recognize a California marriage.
- And even two co-sponsors, Sens. Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) and Susan Collins (R-ME), admit that the bill could open the door for polygamy and polyamory (group marriages). They brush it off as a “drafting error” but refuse to fix it.
You get the idea; this is a very bad bill!
Senator Mike Lee (R-UT) has introduced a religious freedom amendment. He says it would “ensure that federal bureaucrats do not take discriminatory actions against individuals, organizations, nonprofits, and other entities based on their sincerely held religious beliefs or moral convictions about marriage by prohibiting the denial or revocation of tax-exempt status, licenses, contracts, benefits, etc.” It does not protect Christian bakers, florists, videographers, web designers, etc. And the big question is will Senator Chuck Schumer allow the amendment to even be introduced??
The Democrats are painting the main purpose of the bill as protecting interracial marriage, but it is quite clear that their reason for the big push is to codify the US Supreme Court Obergefell decision that forced so-called same-sex marriage on the country. They fear it will eventually be overturned as Roe v Wade was in June.
We need to peel off three of the senators who voted for HR 8404 earlier this month. We have included the phone numbers of the ones we feel would be the most likely to change their vote. Message: Vote ‘no’ on HR 8404.
Also, contact Senators Casey and Toomey and ask them to vote ‘nay’ on HR 8404 – every step of the way! Yes, we know what Casey’s vote will be, but he needs to hear from his constituents who do not agree with him. It is important to add your personal message to the pre-written one we provide.