AFA of PA ACTION ALERT
March 18, 2021
Tell Senators Casey and Toomey to Say NO to Xavier Becerra
On February 22 concerned Senators and Congressmen sent a letter to President Joe Biden expressing their “grave concerns regarding the nomination of California Attorney General Xavier Becerra to serve as the next Secretary of Health and Human Services.” The letter asked President Biden to withdraw Becerra’s name from consideration for the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ slot. We were not surprised that Senator Bob Casey’s name did not appear on the letter; however, neither did Senator Pat Toomey’s! Several PA Congressmen did sign on; these were: Scott Perry, Fred Keller, John Joyce, and Guy Reschenthaler.
The letter outlines some of the concerns surrounding Xavier Becerra. These include the following:
- Lack of healthcare experience
- Strongly supports replacing private health insurance with government-run Medicare-for-all
- Embraces radical policies on immigration, abortion and religious liberty.
Becerra describes himself as follows: “I’ve been a single-payer advocate all my life.” Additionally, he opposed the 2003 partial-birth abortion ban and cosponsored legislation that would force Christian employers like Hobby Lobby to cover the morning-after-pill. He unconstitutionally forced churches into lockdown on the order of California Governor Gavin Newsom. He prosecuted David Daleiden and others who documented Planned Parenthood executives’ conversations about selling baby body parts. As California Attorney General, he tried to force pregnancy centers to promote free, state-provided abortions, until the US Supreme Court stepped in with a 5-4 decision to end his efforts. You get the idea, this guy is not the one to be the next US Secretary of Health and Human Services!
- The 50-49 cloture vote was taken on March 17 with Susan Collins of Maine joining all the Democrats (Senator Hirono (D-HI) did not vote). So, the final confirmation vote could come at any time. Ask Senator Bob Casey and Senator Pat Toomey to vote ‘no’ on the confirmation of Xavier Becerra by clicking here.
- If your Congressman is Scott Perry, Fred Keller, John Joyce or Guy Reschenthaler, thank him for signing on to the February 28th letter opposing Xavier Becerra for Secretary of Health and Human Services.