AFA of PA ACTION ALERT
February 19, 2021
The First Act to “Unite” America — the Equality Act!
HR 5 the Equality Act (which has 223 Democrat co-sponsors), would do the exact opposite and here are a few reasons why:
- It would equate the changeable characteristics of sexual orientation and gender identity to unchangeable characteristics like race and ethnicity. It would amend the 1964 Civil Rights Act by striking the word “sex” and inserting “sex, sexual orientation and gender identity” as protected classes throughout the federal code.
- Passage of the Equality Act will compel all Americans, under threat of legal penalty, to use language they know is incorrect i.e. using female pronouns for a male.
- It will force Christian foster care and adoption agencies to place children in same-sex or transgender households or lose their ability to operate.
- The Equality Act will force all social service organizations (i.e. women’s homeless shelters) to open up private facilities — single-sex bathrooms, showers and sleeping areas — to the opposite sex.
- Its passage will negate Title IX of the Civil Rights Act, which is supposed to guarantee women equal educational and athletic opportunities, by allowing biological males who identify as females to compete in girls/women’s sports.
- It would force medical professionals to act against their deeply held religious beliefs by forcing them to perform “gender affirmation surgery” i.e. removing healthy body parts in order to affirm the patient’s delusion that they are the opposite sex.
- The Equality Act would greatly interfere with parental rights. Already because of local sexual orientation and gender identity ordinances children who wish to “transition” to the opposite sex have been removed from homes where parents refused to allow their minor child to obtain puberty blockers (some of these children were as young as 6 years old!)
- All public schools would be forced to open girls’ bathrooms, locker and shower facilities to boys who believe they are girls. This would place girls in danger of sexual assault. Boys who think they are girls would be allowed to play on girls’ sports teams and sleep in the same hotel room with girls when the team has to travel a long distance for an away event.
- Churches, Christian schools and non-profit faith groups would be forced to hire gender-confused individuals and allow them access to the restroom of their ‘preferred gender.’
- The Equality Act expressly states that the right to religious free exercise under federal law may NOT be used as a defense as it exempts itself from the Religious Freedom Restoration Act!!
We just have to look at the damage local so-called “anti-discrimination” ordinances which contain the words sexual orientation and gender identity (SOGI) have caused. Think of bakers such as Jack Phillips and Melissa Klein, as well as florists such as Barronelle Stutzman. Here in PA, the WW Bridal Boutique was forced to close because of harassment by LGBTQ activists (and that was even before Bloomsburg passed a SOGI ordinance!).
There is no doubt passage of the Equality Act would be devastating to the country! Contact your US Representative and ask him or her not to co-sponsor or support the Equality Act in any way.