On May 21st the Texas State Board of Education approved massive changes to that state’s history and social studies curriculum. The changes are viewed as radical to those on the left. But, you decide. The Texas textbook changes include:
- requiring high school government students to compare and contrast the actual language of the First Amendment to the judicial decision on ‘separation of church and state’
- including A.D. and B.C. rather than C.E. and B.C.E.
- requiring students to evaluate efforts by global organizations such as the United Nations to undermine U.S. sovereignty
- strengthening requirements to include the Judeo-Christian influence on our Founding Fathers
- requiring America be referred to as a constitutional republic rather than a democracy
- studying the decline of the value of the dollar including the abandonment of the gold standard.
In response Secretary of Education Arne Duncan said school officials “should keep politics out” of curriculum debates. He said in a statement, “Parents should be very wary of politicians designing curriculum.” Remember this is the same guy who agrees with President Obama’s call for national standards!
Apparently it’s okay to call our Founding Fathers deists, totally ignoring their very words, but it’s ‘political’ when the truth is told.
True to form, the Texas ACLU has called upon the legislature to pass laws to weld more control over the Board.